North Carolina Family History Societies (A-C)
This section lists the state-wide association of North Carolina. It then lists county associations from Broad River to Carrabus giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
Statewide and Regional
Statewide and Regional Societies
North Carolina Genealogical Society
The association was founded in 1975.
The aims of the Society are to encourage and promote research, help people to exchange genealogical information and to promote the collection, preservation and utilisation of manuscripts, documents and other materials with genealogical and historical value.
Links to other Societies, Archives and Libraries you may find of use are also accessible on their website.
Many books and publications you may find helpful are sold by the society, which include:
- Abstracts of Letters of Resignation of Militia Officers 1779-1840
- Abstracts of Vital Records from Raleigh Newspapers 1799-1839
- Back Issues of their Journal
- Divorces and Separations from Petitions to the General Assembly 1779-1837
- Formation of the Counties 1663-1943
- From Ulster to the Carolinas: Finding your Scots-Irish Ancestors: A Lecture Series by David Rencher
- Headrights: A List of Names 1663-1744
- Helen F. M. Leary Lecture Series
- J Mark Lowe Lecture Series
Links to websites you may find of use, which include Libraries, Archives and other websites with a specific interest in the state, are also available.
County and Other Societies
Broad River Genealogical Society
Some databases are on the site,
which include An Index of Obituaries and An Index of Land Grants in Cleveland,
Gaston, Lincoln, Rutherford and Tryon Counties.
For a fee, the association is willing to make copies of these Obituaries and
Land Grants for you if you send them the necessary information.
Many resources are
accessible at their library, including:
- Bulletins from other associations and groups
- Family Folders
- Russell McIntyre Collection
- Subject Folders
- Virginia Greene DePriest Collection
They also have an extensive Book Collection, which provides information about the following:
- Court Records
Many publications are available for sale, which incorporate:
- Cemetery Records
- Census Returns
- Church Registers
- Cleveland Co. Delayed Birth Certificates
- Cleveland Co. Land Grants
- Court Records for Cleveland, Tryon, Rutherford and Henderson Counties
- Death Certificates 1913-1919 and 1916-1922
- Gaston Co. Death Index
- Marriages for Cleveland and Lincoln Counties
The society also publishes a quarterly Newsletter entitled Eswau Huppeday and a Table of Contents is on the site which covers 2000-2003.
Burke County Genealogical Society
Numerous publications are
available for sale, including:
- 1880 and 1900 Federal Census Returns
- Death Certificates 1911-1924
- Deed Book 1866-1869
- Deeds Registered 1804-1813
- Index to Burke County Journal 1982-1998
- Marriage Registers Index 1867-1908
- Treasury Book of J. L. Laxton 1875-1878
Carrabus Genealogy Society
Many publications are
available for sale, which include:
- Census Returns
- Court Record Books
- Family Histories
- History Books
- Military Books
- Tax Assessment Records