Stoke on Trent City Archives

Stoke on Trent City Archives is based at the Central Library and holds resources relating to the history of the city and surrounding area.  

These resources include Business Records, Education Records, Methodist Records, Records of Local Government and Records of Urban Development.

The Office also hold records for Stoke Upon Trent Poor Law Union and Wolstanton and Burslem Poor Law Union.

Whatever the reason for your visit, whether you wish to research the history of a house, conduct research for a school, college or university assignment, study your family history or are interested in local history, you will the documents held of use.  

The knowledgeable and helpful staff are always on hand to help should you have any questions or require assistance.

Contact Information for Stoke on Trent City Archives


Stoke on Trent City Archives 
City Central Library 
Bethesda Street 
Stoke on Trent 
ST1 3RS 

Telephone Number: 

01782 238420 

Fax Number: 

01782 238499 



For details about their opening hours and collections, please visit their Home Page and peruse their on-line catalogue Gateway to the Past.  Collections held at the Archive include:

  • Bishops Transcripts 1551-1812
  • Cemetery Records
  • Census Returns
  • Divorce Indexes
  • Electoral Registers
  • GRO Index 1837-1960
  • IGI (International Genealogical Index)
  • Methodist Registers
  • Newspapers
  • Parish Registers
  • Poll Books
  • Poor Law Records
  • Rate Books
  • Trade Directories

Location and Directions

There is no public car park at Hanley Library, and the nearest pay-and-display car park is in John Street. Disabled badge holders can park for 3 hours without charge in on-street car parking bays and all day in off-street car parks.

Stoke railway station is 1½ miles from the City Central Library. All buses from the stop outside the railway station go to Hanley City Centre.


You are recommended to book before visiting because it can become very busy and also if you wish to access original documents.  If you are researching your family history, most resources are only available on microfilm, so you should also book a microfilm or microfiche reader.  If two people wish to work together, this should be mentioned at time of booking.  

It is also prudent to ask them if the material you wish to consult is available.  You are also advised to tell them the date and approximate time you wish to visit.  The Office cannot accommodate people not conducting research.

Photography and Photocopying

If you wish to take printouts from microfilm or microfiche, you have to use one of the self-service reader printers.  If these are unavailable, you are able to place an order so the staff can take those copies on your behalf at a later date.  They make a charge for any printouts you may perform or ask the staff to produce.  If you wish to take any photocopies or printouts you have to fill in the appropriate form.

You are able to take your own photographs of documents, but must purchase a photographic licence before taking any photographs.  You also have to fill in the appropriate form.  Some documents cannot be photographed because they are fragile and easily damaged.


The building is fully accessible and also has disabled toilets.

Use of Images

If you wish to publish any images or copies of documents, you have to write to them requesting permission.  You must acknowledge the source of any such image in the published article or electronic work.


Eating establishments are available within 10 minutes (½ mile) walk of the Office.

Research Service

For people unable to visit in person, the Archive offers a research service.

Readers' Tickets

The Office is not a member of the CARN (County Archive Research Network)so they are not valid in the Archive although they will be accepted as proof of name and address.

If you do not have a CARN reader's ticket, you will have to bring identification with you on your first visit that includes your name and address in order to register for a reader's ticket, which includes a driving licence or firearms licence.

If you do not have any of these items, you may use two items for identification purposes, one to confirm your identity such as a bank cheque card, credit card, passport or British Library ticket and the other to confirm your address such as a bank or building society statement, pension book, rent book or official bill(bills have to be less than three months old).

For further details of Record Offices in Staffordshire, please visit my pages regarding Staffordshire Record Office, Dudley Archives, Sandwell Community History and Archive Service and Walsall Local History Centre.

> > Stoke City Archives