Leicestershire Family History Society
Leicestershire and Rutland Family History Society was founded on 20 September 1974 and has almost 2000 members. It offers a wide range of activities and services which can help people researching their genealogy.
Mrs Joan Rowbottom
37 Cyril Street
Society Research Centre
The Society's Research Centre is located at Unit 4B, Pilot House, King Street, Leicester, LE1 6RN.
Resources available at the Centre include:
- 1710 Poll Book for Rutland
- 1712 Land Tax Assessments
- Catholic Church Registers
- Cemetery Records
- Census Indexes
- Domesday Book - Leicestershire
- Electoral Roll (1991)
- GRO Index of Births and Marriages 1837-2002
- International Genealogical Index (IGI)
- Leicester City Parish Records
- Leicestershire Parish records
- Leicestershire Strays
- Local History Books
- Memorial Inscriptions
- National Probate (Wills) Index
- Reference Books
- Rutland Parish Records
- Scotland Parish Registers
- School Records
- Wills Indexes
Society Research Centre Facilities
12 computers are accessible, where you are able to access FamilySearch and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. You are also able to bring your own laptop if you wish.
Research Centre Booking
You can book a microfiche reader in advance of your visit.
Society Research Service
If you cannot get to their Research Centre, the Society offers a research service, which is free to members. If you are not a member of the Society, they ask that you make a donation.
Many publications are sold by the Society, which include:
- Baptism Indexes
- Burial Indexes
- Marriage Indexes
- Military Indexes: Absent Voters List 1918/1919
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Wills Indexes