West Yorkshire Family History Society
This section lists county associations of Yorkshire - West Riding providing details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
Morley and District Family History Group
Based in West Yorkshire, Morley and District Family History Group was formed in 1986. Their aims are to encourage and promote mutual help between people wishing to research their genealogy.
They also help people to find out more about their ancestors' lives, including what they did and what their lives were like.
An image of members of the Morley Zion Choir c. 1928 is accessible on their site.
Photographs also include a class picture of pupils in Cross Hall School c. 1921-23 and a class photograph of pupils of East Ardsley Infant School c. 1904.
To find out about parishes in the Morley area, please peruse their guide to parishes.
Some databases are available, which include:
- 1851 Census for Gildersome (Transcription)
- Churwell War Memorial: WW1 and WW2 Casualties
- Horsfall Ltd, Albion Mills: War Memorial to employees killed in WW1
- Parish Register Transcriptions
- Streets in Morley from Robinson's Directory of 1905
- Tingley Memorial: Memorial to those killed when the Halifax bomber crashed on 14th November 1944
- Tingley Methodist Church Memorial Inscriptions
- Wakefield Union Accounts 1886: East and West Ardsley, Lofthouse, Stanley, Wrenthorpe and other areas (Transcripts)
Society Message Board
A message board is accessible, where you can post family history requests.
Pontefract and District Family History Society
Pontefract and District Family History Society covers Pontefract (including the Chapelry of Kottingley) along with the areas of Carleton, East Hardwick and Tanshelf.
Parishes covered by the association include:
- Ferry Fryston
- Kirk Smeaton
- Monk Fryston
- Sherburn in Elmet
- South Kirkby
The towns and villages within these parishes are also covered by the Society.
Many publications are sold by the Society, which incorporate:
- Baptism Indexes
- Burial Indexes
- Castleford Chronicle and Knottingley Advertiser - Marriage and Death Announcements 1858-1862
- Census Indexes
- The Independent Order of Oldfellows, Lodge 59, Pontefract Members Register 1856-1970
- Inquest Notebooks 1844-1885 of Thomas Taylor, Yorkshire County Coroner (Index)
- Inquests 1868-1890 Brotherton, Ferry Fryston, Knottingley and Pontefract from the Notebooks of Thomas Taylor, Yorkshire County Coroner
- Land Tax Records
- Marriage Indexes
- Monumental Inscriptions
- Parish Map
- Pontefract Apprenticeship Records (Index)
- Reference Books
- Register of Persons entitled to vote within the Wakefield Polling District 30 November 1861 - 1 December 1862
- Sailing Ships and Mariners of Knottingley
- West Riding Settlement Index - Doncaster Records
Society Research Service
For payment of a fee, the Society is prepared to conduct searches in their baptism, marriage, burial and monumental inscriptions indexes.
A list of surnames currently being researched by members is accessible on their site, along with a message board where you can discuss family history related matters, and obtain help to break down that brick wall.