West Virginia Family History Societies(M-R)
This section lists associations from Mercer to Roane giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
County and Other Societies
Mercer County Historical Society
They are a non-profit making association established on 29 October 1974. Their aim is the preservation and study of the history of Mercer County.
Many publications are sold by the society, which incorporate Historical Genealogy, Memoirs of Old Princeton, A Thousand Names from the Annals of Giles and Mercer Counties, A Civil War Diary and Clay Family Settlement on the Bluestone River.
Publications sold by the association also include:
- Births 1853-1873
- Deaths 1853-1890
- Early Princeton and the Episcopal Church
- Marriages 1853-1890
- Princeton Times Pictorial History 1850-1991
Monroe County Historical Society
Many archives relating to genealogy are held by the association, which incorporate:
- Cemeteries Book
- Shirley Ulaki Books
- Town Histories
A list of Libraries with Genealogical Collections is available on the site.
Many publications can be purchased from the society, which include:
- Diary of Susan Waddell
- Highlights of the History of Monroe Co. Schools 1799-1999
- Monroe Co. Cemeteries
- Monroe Co. Slaves
- Monroe Co. Soldiers in the Civil War
- Sweet Springs Travel Guide and History
Ritchie County Historical Society
Many publications can be purchased from the society, which comprise:
- County Farm Maps
- Funeral History Records
- History of Ritchie County
- Irish Immigration into Ritchie Co.
- The Life and Times of the Pennsboro B & O Depot
- Map of Ritchie Co. Schools
- Mountain Mists: Appalachian Folkways of West Virginia
- Northwestern Turnpike Map and Supplemental Booklet
- Old Stone House Bicentennial Memento Postcard/Envelope
- A Photographic History of Ritchie County, West Virginia on CD
- Ritchie Co. Cemeteries
- Ritchie County Fair
- Ritin' 'N Railin'
- Voices of the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike CD Set
Roane County Historical Society
Many databases are accessible, which
- Cemeteries and Tombstone Inscriptions
- Miscellaneous Documents
- Surname List
Many publications can be purchased from the association, which include:
- RCHS Ancestor Charts
- Roane Co. Births
- Roane Co. Cemeteries
- Roane Co. Founders
- Telephone and City Directories
Numerous books published by Judy Hildreth are available for sale, which include the following indexes all for Roane Co.:
- Births late 60's to 2008
- Deaths 1967-2008
- Out of the area Deaths 1979-2008
- Marriages 1967-2007
- WWII Veterans
She has also published an index of Calhoun Co. Births and Deaths.
David L Boggs has published Obituaries from the Times Records Newspaper and this is also available for sale.