Virginia Family History Societies(P-S)
This section lists associations from Patrick to Scott giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
Patrick County - Bassett Historical Centre
Also listed under Martinsville County.
Rappahannock Historical Society
The association was established in 1964 and its aims are to collect, store and preserve archives relating to Rappahannock County and the surrounding area. For a fee, they are willing to conduct genealogical research on your behalf.
The museum has artefacts relating to the county which have been donated by descendants and generous benefactors.
Many archives can be accessed in their library which incorporate:
- Abstracts of Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Abstracts of Estate and Chancery Records
- Bible Records
- Burial Database
- Census Returns 1790-1920
- Early Tax Records
- Family Files
- Local Histories
- Published Genealogies
Many publications are available for sale, which include:
- Rappahannock Co. History
- Rappahannock Co. Picture Book
- Shenandoah Heritage
- Shenandoah Secrets
- Undying Past of Shenandoah National Park
The Cemetery Project CD, which includes information obtained from Public Records, Family Information, Local History and Gravestone Inscriptions, can also be purchased from the society.
Rockbridge Area Genealogical Society
The association was established in 1993. Some resources are available in Rockbridge Regional Library, which incorporate:
- Births 1853-1877
- History of Rockbridge County - Oren F. Morton
- Marriages 1778-1850
- Rockbridge County Heritage Book
- Rockbridge Researchers Handbook
Some newspapers are held by the association, including:
- Beuna Vista Advocate 1889-1895
- Buena Vista Weekly News 1918-1930
- Beuna Vista News 1933-1981
- Beuna Vista News & County Press 1982-1986
- Lexington Gazette 1835-1962
- Lexington News - Gazette 1962-present
- Rockbridge Co. News 1884-1962
- Rockbridge Daily Press 1993
- Rockbridge Weekly 1990-present
A list of Cemeteries is on the site, along with Burial Indexes.
Scott County Historical Society
A list of Cemeteries is on the site, along with Photographs of Tombstones. An Index of Obituaries is also on the site.
Many databases and indexes are accessible in Kenny's Place - The Digital Library, which incorporate:
- Chataigne's Gazetteer and Business Directory 1888-1889
- Five Confederates from Pleasant Hill
- Old Mills of Southwest Virginia
- Scott Co. Connections which is Don Lane's Genealogy Database of more than 350000 Names with a connection to the area
- Scott Co. Fair Premium List and Catalogue 1934, 1938, 1940, 1941 and 1950
- Scott Co. Historic Homes
- Scott Co. Sesquicentennial 1815-1965