Pennsylvania Family History Societies (L-M)
This section lists associations from Lycoming to Montour giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
Lycoming County Genealogical Society
The society is a non-profit making association.
The Society's aim is to encourage and promote the study of genealogy and to collect and preserve historical materials relating to Lycoming County.
One of their projects is to photograph every tombstone in order to preserve them for future generations.
Many archives can be accessed in their Library located in the Thomas Taber Museum, which incorporate:
- Boyd's City Directories 1893-1950
- Muncy Now and Then 1929-1942 and 1965-1977
- Orphans Court 1795-1850
- Tax Papers for various Townships in Lycoming Co.
- Williamsport City Births 1879-1931
- Williamsport City Deaths 1879-1927
- Wills 1795-1903
Many informative articles are accessible, which include:
- 1928 Census of Children in Franklin Township
- Lycoming Co. Cemeteries Map
- Ohnmeiss Genealogy
- Profiles of Williamsport Photographers 1867-1930
- Rehorn/Rayhorn Genealogy
- Williamsport Photographers 1854-1900 and 1901-1925
Many publications can be purchased from the society, which comprise:
- 1851 Map of Williamsport
- Bastian Funeral Home Burials 1905-1954
- Cemetery Transcripts
- Early History of Cogan House Township
- Lyoming Co. History
McKeesport Regional History and Heritage Centre
Many resources are accessible, which comprise:
- Births and Weddings from the Daily News
- Cemetery Transcripts
- Church Histories
- Funeral Home Books
- McKeesport City Directories
- McKeesport City Tax Records
- McKeesport Daily News 1884-present
- Obituaries from the Daily News
- Sanborn Maps for McKeesport
- Warentee Atlas for Allegheny Co. 1914
- Yearbooks and School Newspapers from McKeesport High School
Mercer County Historical Society
The Society has a Research Library where many documents are available, including:
- 1873 Mercer Co. Atlas
- Aerial Photographs
- Federal Census Microfilm for Mercer and Surrounding Counties
- Manuscript and Iconographic Collections of Original Documents
- Mercer Co. Wall Map
- Newspapers 1811-1976
- Plat Books
- Published Histories of Mercer, it's Communities and Surrounding Counties
- Regimental Histories of many Pennsylvania Units as well as other Secondary and Primary Civil War Materials
- Research Files
- Sanborn Insurance Maps
Mifflin Township Historical Society
Indexes of obituaries from local newspapers are on the site, which include Clairton, Homestead and Duquesne Newspapers.
Montour County Genealogical Society
A list of Cemeteries is on the site, along with links to where you can find Cemetery Transcripts.
Many documents are available in the Genealogy Room at Thomas Beaver Free Library, which include
- Birth Register 1892-1905
- Cemetery Lists
- Church Registers
- City Directories
- Common Pleas Dockets 1850-1888
- Death Register 1893-1905
- Deaths 1852-1854
- Ethnic Collections
- Grantor and Grantee Indexes 1772-1914
- Marriage Licences 1885-1909
- Marriages 1852-1854
- Marriages and Deaths reported in the Danville Intelligencer 1828-1879
Documents also incorporate:
- Orphans Court Dockets 1814-1869, 1851-1865
- Orphans Court Dockets 1772-1813
- Orphans Court Indexes 1727-1930
- Pleas Entered and Enrolled by William Montgomery, Justice of the Peace for the County of Northumberland 1797-1805
- Special Delayed Birth Registrations Volumes 1-3
- Surname Files
- Tax Assessments 1814-1840 for Columbia Co.
- Wills and Administrations
- WWI Draft Registrations for Montour Co.
A list of surnames currently being researched by Members is also on the site.