North Carolina Family History Societies (C-F)
This section lists county associations from Catawba to Forsyth providing details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
County and Other Societies
Catawba County Genealogical Society
The society was established in 1986 in order to assist genealogists researching the history of German and Scot-Irish pioneers settling in North Carolina in the 1700s.
Many publications are available for sale, which include:
- 1840/1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880 Census Returns
- Back Issues of Catawba Cousins, their Journal
- Catawba Co. Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions 1843-1855
- Catawba Co. Heritage
- Death Certificate Abstracts 1915
- Probates 1843-1885
Cumberland County Genealogical Society
The association was founded in 1984.
Numerous publications are available for sale, which include:
- 100 Years of Caring: The History of Highsmith Hospital School of Nursing
- Bastards, Bound Children and Guardians: Cumberland County 1791-1818
- Bastards, Guardians and Other Genealogical Abstracts 1819-1822
- Bible Records
- Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions 1823-1825
- Cumberland Co. Cemetery Surveys
- Deaths of Soldiers from the Fayetteville Observer 1861-1864
Publications sold by the Society also incorporate:
- Guardian Angels: Kellen Family History
- Gilchrist's History
- Johnson-Lee Families, South of the Neuse
- Marriages and Death Notices abstracted from the Fayetteville Observer 1851-1865
- Marriages and Death Notices in the Weekly Standard 1859-1864
- Minutes of the Session of the Big Rockfish Presbyterian Church 1869-1955
- Slaves, Deaths and Relationships from Deed Books 53-55
- Harnett Co.: Will Book I Abstracts with Biographical Notes
Durham-Orange Genealogical Society
The association was formed in 1989. It is dedicated to the preservation of Genealogy in Durham and Orange Counties. A link to a site listing Cemeteries in North Carolina is available, and this includes Durham and Orange Counties.
The society publishes a quarterly Journal called The Trading Path and a Table of Contents covering issues published from 1990-2011 is available. It is also possible to download PDF Versions of their newsletter from 2008-2012.
A list of surnames currently being researched by Members is also available.
Forsyth County Genealogical Society
The association was established in 1982, its aims being to preserve local history and to assist genealogists with their research.
Information about the various
towns is available, along with a link to a list
of Cemeteries in the region.
Many publications are
available for sale, including:
- Back Issues of their Journal
- Cemetery Records
- Census Returns for Davie, Forsyth and Stokes Counties
- Cohabitation and Marriage Bonds 1849-1868
- Death Notices from the People's Press for Salem, NC 1851-1892
- Marriage Licences 1868-1889
- Wills 1849-1917
Links to other sites you may find useful are also accessible.