New Hampshire Family History Societies(H-M)
This section lists county associations from Hollis to Madison providing details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
County and other Societies
Hollis Historical Society
The idea of forming an organisation in Hollis to preserve artefacts relating to Hollis's history was first discussed by the ladies of the Hollis Chapter of the DAR in 1949. A library was selected to store these artefacts in 1951.
Many resources are available at Wheeler House, including:
- 1892 Hollis Farms
- American Genealogical Research at the D.A.R. - Eric G. Grunset & Steven B. Rhodes
- Births and Marriages 1730-1900
- Cemetery Inscriptions
- Census Returns 1790-1850
- D.A.R. History of Hollis Homes (1-164, 175-353)
- D.A.R. Homes
- Early Settlers of West Dunstable in Monson (a list of families included in this book is on the site)
- Happy Hollis Homes
- Hollis Buildings - Moved or Lost
- Hollis Family Album 1730-1950
Resources available at Wheeler House also include:
- Congregational Meeting House History
- Hollis History 1730-1879
- A Look at Some Hollis Farmlands
- Peter Powers Pioneer; The Story of the First Settler in Hollis, New Hampshire
- Progression of Ownership of Hollis Farms
- Project on farms of the 50's
- Wheeler House Activity Albums
- Where the Past has been Preserved 1879 - 1979
- Women's Club 1906-1992
Some publications are sold by the Society, including:
- Early Settlers of West Dunstable, Monson, and Hollis, NH - Charles S. Spaulding
- History of Hollis, NH 1730–1879 - Samuel T. Worcester
- Hollis Family Album 1730–1950 - Joan C. Tinklepaugh
- Hollis Marriages & Births up to 1900 - Joan C. Tinklepaugh
- Hollis Seventy Years Ago - Henry Gillman Little
- Peter Powers, Pioneer - Rudge Nichols and Caroline Poole
- Where the Past Has Been Preserved, Hollis, NH 1879 - Irene West, editor
Jackson Historical Society
The association was
established in 1977. Their aims are to encourage and promote interest in the history of Jackson and to preserve this history for future generations.
Many databases are available, including Index of Tombstone Inscriptions from Village Cemetery Grave Sites and Dundee Cemetery Grave Sites. A list of Obituaries is also available.
A wide range of archives relating to people in Jackson are also held by the society, which include:
Further information is available on the site.
Many publications are available for sale, including:
- Brush and Pen: Artists and Writers of the White Mountains
- Jackson 1771-1865
- Yesterdays: Lodging Places of Jackson and their Recipes
Madison Historical Society
Many databases are accessible, which include Births 1887-1901, Deaths 1887-1901 and Marriages 1853-1947.