Minnesota Family History Societies (O-R)
This section lists associations from Otter Tail to Red River providing details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
County and other Societies
Otter Tail County Historical Society
The aim of the association is to collect, preserve and interpret the history and heritage of the County. They have an exhibit gallery, archival and object collection and a genealogical research library.
Numerous resources are accessible in the library, which incorporate:
- Alien Registrations
- Biography Files
- Book and Photograph Collections
- Cemetery Master Index
- Census Records
- Church Registers
- City Directories
- Deaths 1871-1918
- Marriage Card File Index
- Obituary Card File Index
- Plat Maps
- Tax Lists
Many databases are also on-line, which include a Cemetery Search and the Multi Index Search.
Many publications are sold by the Society, which incorporate:
- Fergus Falls and the Fabulous Fifties - Lance E. Johnson
- The Great Fergus Falls Cyclone of June 22, 1919
- Home Fires and Battlegrounds: A Military History of Otter Tail County
- The Making of a Small Town: Carlisle, Minnesota - Linda Frances Lein
- Memories of Otter Tail Lake (Second Edition) - Lance E. Johnson
- Old Clitherall Story Book
- Photos by Oxley: Historic Images of West Central Minnesota
- The Promise of a Beautiful Harvest: Otter Tail County 1865-1895
- Remembering the Maine: Riding with Roosevelt - Jan Smith
- The State Welcomes You: Minnesota's Third State Hospital
Prairieland Genealogical Society
The association has a vast collection of resources, which include:
- Births and Deaths
- Cemetery Transcripts
- Census Returns
- Church Histories and Registers
- Family Group Sheets and Pedigree Charts
- High School Annuals
- History Books
- MN in the Civil War and Indian Wars 1861-1865
- Plat Books
- Prairieland Pioneer Indexes
- Tax Records
A list of Lyon Co. Cemeteries is also on the site.
Many publications are available for sale, which include Lyon Co. and Surrounding Area Cemeteries and Back Issues of the Society's publication Prairieland Register.
Ramsey County Historical Society
The association was estalished in 1949 when citizens acquired Heman and Jane Gibbs farm in Falcon Heights. The Gibbs Museum opened in 1954. Their aims are to promote and encourage the study of genealogy and to preserve historical materials for future generations.
Many archives are available in their Research Centre, located in St Paul's Landmark Centre, which incorporate:
- City Directories
- Personal Papers
Ramsey County History, their quarterly magazine, is also published by the society.
Red River Valley Genealogical Society
This society is also listed under North Dakota.