Minnesota Family History Societies (C)
This section lists associations from Cottonwood to Crow Wing providing details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
Cottonwood County Historical Society
Their aim is to collect and preserve the county's history.
A large collection of archives is available at their Library, including:
- Business Histories/Documents
- Cemetery Records
- Census Records
- Church Records
- Club and Organisational Records
- Family Histories and Documents
- Genealogical Files
- Library Card Catalogue
Their archives also incorporate:
- Military Records
- Naturalisation Records
- Obituary Files
- Periodicals and Newsletters
- Photograph Catalogue File
- Plat Books
- School Records Files and Index
- Telephone Directories
- Township Records
A timeline of the history of the area is also available.
Crow Wing County Genealogical Society
Their aims are to preserve and collect genealogical and historical information relating to the history of the County, to maintain a genealogical research library for members and those interested in history and genealogy, and to hold meetings for members.
Many databases are available on the site, including:
- Cemetery/Burial Transcriptions
- Census Transcriptions
- Maps and Place Names
Marriage Transcriptions are also available:
- Brainerd Dispatch 1883-1895
- First Methodist Church 1873-1900
- St Francis Assisi 1852-1870
The association has combined its resources with those held by the Family History Centre and the Library has a large collection of Books, Microfilm and Microfiche.
Crow Wing County Historical Society
Many resources are accessible in their Research Library, including:
- Brainerd City Directories
- Census Returns
- County Histories
- Maps and Atlases
- Mortuary Records of Early Brainerd
- Naturalisation Index
- Oral Histories
- Township Histories
Books held by the society include the following titles:
- Between the Waters: Tracing the Northwest Trail from Lake Superior to the Mississippi River - Larry Luukkonen
- Catholic Origins of Minnesota - Rev. Vincent Yzermans (ed)
- Cuyuna Country: A People History (vol. 1, 2, & 3)
- Historical Notes of Brainerd by Oldtimers - Carl Zapffe, Jr.
- Minnesota Logging Railroads - Frank King
- Muster Roll: A Biography of Fort Ripley, Minnesota - Robert Baker
- Old Crow Wing: History of A Village - Sister Bernard Coleman, Sister Verona Labud and John Humphrey
- Old Times on The Upper Mississippi - George Merrick
- Windows to the Past: A Bibliography of Minnesota County Atlases - Mai Freude
A full list of books available in the Research Library is accessible on their website.
A list of items that appeared in the Heritage Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch from October 15, 1981 are accessible. Copies of this newspaper are available in their Research Library.